Exploring Mykonos Town

Mykonos Town (or Chora, to give it its proper Greek name) is a bit of a Pinterest favourite – and it’s not hard to see why. The streets are narrow and winding, the buildings stick to a strict blue and white colour scheme (apparently you have to pay higher taxes to paint your pad a different colour), and around every corner is a cute wooden staircase or flower-bedecked balcony just begging to be Instagrammed (no filter required, of course).

Mr ST and I jetted over to Mykonos mid-September for five nights of early autumn sunshine (although somehow we managed to coincide it with the one week of the year that England was actually hotter than Greece).

Staying somewhere ridiculously pricey (the Grace Mykonos, absolutely amazing) meant we stayed poolside pretty much every day, determined to get our full money’s worth out of the hotel. But come late afternoon, we prised ourselves off our loungers, hopped in the hotel shuttle bus and scooted on over to Mykonos Town.

mykonos-town

The town is a tangle of crooked alleyways, some lined with shops, bars and cafes, others edged by houses and apartments.

mykonos-town

You could spend hours wandering around, getting lost in the little lanes.

mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town mykonos-town

But when it’s time for sunset, there’s only one place to be…

little-venice-mykonos

Little Venice has prime position for watching the sun dip beneath the horizon.

You can join the crowds on the little beach for free, or pay top dollar for a drink in one of the bars by the water (just avoid the front-row tables if it’s a windy day – the waves crash right on to them).

little-venice-mykonos

My favourite spots, though, were the bars that actually overhang the waves. Not only do you get amazing views of the sunset, but you get amazing views of Mykonos’s famous windmills, too.

mykonos-windmills sunset-little-venice-mykonos sunset-little-venice-mykonos

Here are some of my top recommendations for Mykonos Town:

Bill & Coo Suites

About 10 minutes’ walk from the town centre is this hillside hotel. I wrote about Bill & Coo ages ago and had been dying to see it in the flesh. Luckily for people (like me) who can’t afford to blow £700+ per night on a hotel room, non-guests are allowed into the bar and restaurant in the evenings. Sure, the cocktails were a tad on the pricey side (€20 a pop), but with the sunset views and this amazing starlit pool, it’s worth splashing out for.

bill-and-coo-mykonos

Kalammmakia

To make up for our extravagant aperitifs at Bill & Coo, we thought we’d better go cheap and cheerful for dinner. And Kalammmakia certainly lived up to that. Halloumi, salad, mayo sauce and chips, all wrapped up in a soft pitta for less than €3. It’s right on Lakka Square, too, so although it’s not the fanciest of settings, it’s ideal for people-watching.

Yummy

I thought this place was very aptly named! We went back three times for crepes and waffles – I’d highly recommend the banana and chocolate or apple and cinammon.

Coming soon: Look out for my review of our hotel in Mykonos.

28 Comments

• Reply Shikha (whywasteannualleave) November 9, 2016 at 10:33 pm

It looks so beautiful Laura! We just did 5 nights in Santorini mid October and I love how sunny and warm it is even at that time of year. The streets of Mykonos look every bit as photogenic and I love the look of the windmills and the Bill and Coo Bar looks so magical- perfect for a romantic evening out together 🙂

Reply Laura November 14, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Ah, Santorini is so beautiful! I think I even preferred it to Mykonos – those views were just incredible. The Bill & Coo was definitely memorable, although those prices were a slight sting in the tail!

• Reply Rachel November 13, 2016 at 3:25 pm

What an amazing trip! I can’t wait to visit one day!

Reply Laura November 14, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Rachel, it’s such a lovely place. Visiting Mykonos definitely ignited my desire to explore more of Greece… now I just need to choose which island to visit next!

• Reply Tristen Kermit November 29, 2016 at 7:13 am

Its wonderful.. I’ll be spending my holidays or more happily going through these. i loved your post. Thanks more travel to go.

Reply Laura December 28, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Tristen!

• Reply Lara Dunning January 2, 2017 at 3:13 am

I’ve wanted to go to Greece for awhile now. Love seeing all your photos! And suggestions too. I’d love to have Halloumi in Greece. It is such a great cheese.

Reply Laura January 2, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Lara, glad you liked the post 🙂

• Reply Paul January 2, 2017 at 5:58 am

Wow Mykonos looks like a really cool little town to explore. Your pictures are amazing, I love all the white narrow streets. Then that infinity pool looks amazing to relax in after a tiring day!

Reply Laura January 2, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Thanks Paul! The narrow streets were very picturesque, although easy to get lost in 😉 (but that was half the fun)

• Reply amanda January 2, 2017 at 6:06 am

wow i so want to go here – so many lovely pics! and love the sunset drinks recommendation!

Reply Laura January 2, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Amanda! Bill & Coo was amazing, just prepare yourself for the giant bar bill 😉

• Reply Arvin January 2, 2017 at 6:12 am

Will be going to Greece this coming Spring, and Island hopping is def. a go, after seeing your amazing photos Mykonos is gong to be a sure destination. Thanks for the recommendations for Mykonos Town.

Reply Laura January 2, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Arvin! Hope you have a great trip!

• Reply Nathan January 2, 2017 at 9:00 am

Greece is one of those places I’ve never been to but I already know I would love. The photos look amazing, the food is supposed to be so good and I hear the people are great. I have to get there this summer!

Reply Laura January 2, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Greek food is delicious – so much fresh seafood, how can you go wrong?! Fingers crossed you can get over there this summer!

• Reply Lily Travella January 2, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Mykonos is such a stunning place! So gorgeous, it all looks perfectly clean! I can imagine how great the food was too. Great insight!

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Lily! The food is one of my favourite things about Greece 🙂

• Reply Diana - MVMT Blog January 3, 2017 at 2:14 am

I just love all the white walls and blue scattered throughout! I still haven’t made it to Greece but it’s definitely on the bucket list. Would love to check out the restaurant called Yummy too – glad it was yummy just like the name 🙂

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Hope you make it some day, Diana 🙂

• Reply Carmen's Luxury Travel January 3, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Mykonos just looks like a dream! I’d absolutely love to return. Your photos are stunning, thanks for sharing 🙂

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Gokul Raj January 3, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Has a resemblance to Santorini…..hard to believe that there are no tourists thronging the streets of the place. You got some good shots.

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Haha, believe me most of the streets were completely packed! Luckily if you get off the main shopping ones you can find these quiet ones :-). It’s definitely similar to Santorini, although I think I’d pick Santorini as my favourite, I just loved the views from the clifftops there.

• Reply melody pittman January 3, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I have visited many places in Greece and Mykonos will forever be my favorite. My pictures, outside of the resort we stayed at, look pretty much identical to yours. 😉

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:31 pm

It’s hard to come away from Mykonos without beautiful photos I think, it’s just so pretty!

• Reply Theresa January 4, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Wow, absolutely stunning photography, and an absolutely stunning town. Mykonos looks beautiful!

Reply Laura January 20, 2017 at 8:31 pm